Well, I received this questionnaire in my inbox a couple of times already & thought maybe the rest of you might be interested in this tooJ
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper! Birthdays is gift bags, but always wrapping paper for Christmas!
2. Real tree or Artificial? Always a real tree & cut down by us!
3. When do you put up the tree? I try for the first week of December, but often we don’t end up getting out till the 2nd week
4 When do you take the tree down? January 1
5. Do you like eggnog? I’ll usually have a sip of Ben’s once or twice per Christmas season, but that’s it…just not my thing…I like apple cider
6. Favorite gift received as a child? No idea
7. Hardest person to buy for? Both of our parents…especially our dads
8. Easiest person to buy for? The kids…but every year they get a bit harder…they have too much stuff!
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Now I do!! Very excited about thatJ I’ve wanted one ever since we got married, but could never find one I really liked…and then when I did it was too expensive. One week ago today I decided just to buy it…had a 20% off coupon so it was OK…that one’s mine & not to be touched. I also remember my parents having one when I was a kid though that we could play with & act out the Christmas story & I wanted that for the kids. So I also bought a cheaper one that the kids can play with.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail…I’m behind this year though…hopefully I can get them done in time.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Can’t think of one
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? I haven’t seen very many Christmas movies…Ben bought me Jingle all the Way when we first got married…or maybe it was when we were dating…I like the moral in it of how important family is. I wanted to see It’s a Wonderful Life last year, but Cheri & I didn’t get a chance to watch it…don’t know if I’ll watch it on my own.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? End of August. Manda’s birthday is end of October, Benjamin’s is beginning of November, then Christmas, then Kirby’s birthday is end of January….everything happens all together so we wouldn’t be able to afford anything if I didn’t plan ahead.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Not that I remember
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? After Eights…and other chocolates…I also really enjoy turkey dinner
16. Lights on the tree? Colored…mostly white ones outside…except for one old string of colored that the kids love
17. Favorite Christmas song? Love Steven Curtis Chapman…Christmas is all in the Heart…as far as carols…Oh Come all Ye Faithful…don’t ask me why, I’ve just always liked that oneJ
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? The first year we were married we decided to do our Christmas at home on the 23rd so that we could spend time with our families as well. That tradition has stuck & I really enjoy it…it spreads things out for the kids so they actually get a chance to play with their gifts instead of being overwhelmed with getting so many at once. Every year we do Christmas Eve at Ben’s parents & overnight there…up until last year we would then head to my parents on Christmas day. Last year we changed it so that we headed home on Christmas Day (after going sledding) & then went to my parents on Boxing Day…or was it the 27th…can’t rememberJ. I really liked that. We still did our thing on the 23rd…but it gave us a day at home to just hang out. I think it’s important for us to be able to make our own traditions but at the same time I think it’s pretty special that we are able to spend time with our families…and they won’t be around forever…so we’ve created our own special traditions that allow us to do both.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Nope
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Little crocheted angel…something I’d like to change some year, but haven’t found something I like yetJ
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Evening of the 23rd…open gifts at home…24th…off to Werdal’s for turkey dinner & gifts there…25th am…stockings…hopefully sledding if there’s snow…home…make a gingerbread house or something…26th…hang out as a family…27th…Bartell’s for fun & gifts
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Commercialization of Christmas... People taking 'Christ' out of Christmas and making it Xmas.... Santa. Hate the idea of Santa... Never had Santa as a kid…people ask my kids if Santa’s bringing lots of presents & they have no clue what they meanJ
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? My whole tree…for many of my growing up years my parents would give us each an ornament every year…Ben’s mom had done the same…so when we got married we already had a bunch…now I do the same thing with the kids…one every year…so my favorite is just remembering the memories. In the rest of the house I like to use burgendy
24. Favorite part of Christmas dinner? The sweets later onJ I love turkey with cranberry sauce (dark meat)…and the salads
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? Would love a new dining room table & chairs, but I don’t think that’s happening this yearJ I really just want to figure out a way to help my kids (& me!) remember the real meaning of Christmas!