Friday, May 7, 2010

A thought about pictures...

I was reading an article about Mother’s Day where the author talked about taking pictures.  Like me, she loves to take pictures of her kids & her family.  Although I love taking family pictures, my favorite by far is capturing the “moments”.  A laugh.  A hug.  A cuddle.  A conversation.  A look.  There is one person in our family though, who we don’t have that kind of pictures of...at least not many.  Can you guess whoJ?  Yes, that would be me.  Once in a while I’ll hand the camera to Ben or someone else we’re with.  The problem is, those moments are usually “planned”.  I’m sitting down to open this gift with my kids...I know the camera is on me. 

In the last few months my dad has been scanning old slides.  I have loved looking at all the pictures that bring back so many memories.  When I read this article today I was thinking about the pictures my dad scanned that are of me & my mom.  I love being able to look at those.  I want our kids to have pictures of me with them to bring back memories too!  The issue for me is one of control.  I want the pictures to be the way I envision them.  Problem is...if I’m not behind the camera, I have no control of that.  So I tend to hand over the camera for 5 or 10 minutes while we’re doing a particular activity & then take it back again so I can get the pictures I want of what’s going on.  Wow, writing that down sure makes the selfishness show.  Never thought of it that way before.  Now I’m even more determinedJ.  This Mother’s Day (& beyond) I’m going to make an effort to give someone else the camera...and let them hold it for more than 10 minutes while we’re doing a particular activity.  I want our kids (& grandkids) to be able to look back & see me for who I am...the way I am.  I want them to be able to look at pictures of me & know that I really was living life right here with them...beside them...so that they can look back on these memories when they grow up.




3 comments:

Lisa said...

I am also a control-freak.....maybe we should start a club!

Brandy said...

I was thinking about the other day as well I probaly just have a handful of pics with each kids but my problem is not handing the camera over its that i delet them because i dont like the way i look in a shot. also nat never takes enough pics for example he took 5 pics at the zoo the last time we went FIVE i couldnt believe it "How am I going to scrapbook FIVE pics" he just looked at me like I had grown a 2nd head and shrugged his shoulders. urgh

Heidi said...

I always delete some of them too Brandy, but I try not to be too critical. I try to remember that Ben doesn't see pictures the same way I do...or catch the same "moments" that I would...but regardless, they're memories...and it won't matter to the kids if I have a goofy look on my face in some:) I still end up deleting some, but I try to be more forgiving.

One idea might be to suggest to Nat that every time he takes a picture to snap 3 right in a row (or even 4). That way if eyes are closed on one, the next one might be better...or the expression might be better...and if you're really lucky:):) you'll have a series of shots that turns out & makes it easier to scrapbook. That way he doesn't necessarily have to pick up the camera any more often...just take a few more when he's got it in his hand. Just a thought:)