Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Random Recipes-granola

I’ve got this in the oven right now & thought I may as well type it out for you in between the “stirrings”J.   I’ve been trying to make more things myself...so much cheaper & so much healthier!   Last week I started making my own yogurt...mmmmm & granola.  It’s been devoured so I’m making another batch!  This is a recipe that my mom used to make which I believe comes from the More With Less cookbook.

Chunky Granola
Oven temp: 350
Cooking time: 10-15 min.
Makes 2 ½ qts. (I make 2 batches at a time...one batch is only lasting us about a week.)

6 c. Oatmeal

½ c. Sunflower seed or nuts (We like slivered almonds)
½ c. Coconut
½ c. Wheat germ
½ c. Powdered milk

2/3 c. Honey
2/3 c. Oil
1 tsp. Vanilla

Ø  Put oatmeal in an ungreased 9x13 pan & bake for 10 min.  (I like a slightly larger pan...makes it a lot easier to stir.  If you do 2 batches, unless you have a really big pan you’re better off doing 2 separate pans or it’s just too hard to stir.)
Ø  Stir in the next 4 ingredients
Ø  Add the last 3 ingredients & mix well
Ø  Bake for 10-15 min, stirring every 3-5 min until it’s uniformly golden
Ø  Do not overbake
Ø  Let cool in pan undisturbed, then break into chunks (I’ve never found it makes very good chunks & we prefer it more broken up, so I keep stirring it as it cools & then put it in a container.)
Ø  Option: add raisins, dates or dried fruit

No comments: